Wednesday, December 14, 2011

God's blessing and prosperity

Today I've been thinking about what it means when we are in God's will for our lives.  I think I've always correctly assumed that being in God's will means we receive His blessings and we prosper.  But what does that really mean?  I think I've incorrectly assumed that being in His will means he will bless and prosper us with THINGS.  I have completely missed the mark on this one.  There are many, many believers who are very much in God's will and their lives do not get easier.  They continue to live with very little.   Sometimes they continue to suffer most terribly.   However, what they have, what I want to have, is the blessing of knowing Him better.  I imagine these believers are very close to God at all times.  And they know it.  The more I know Him and draw close to Him the more He shows me His face.  It's a very deep and beautiful thing.  I think His prosperity means He will give us more and more of Him in our daily lives as we draw close to Him.  That's not to say that his blessings don't come in the form of things sometimes.  I have no doubt they do.  But I don't think that's really the whole point of it all.

Our walk with him should never be about what tangible item we can get out of the relationship.  Recently I was watching a snip it from a reality TV show and the episode actually centered around the family on Christmas day.  Every time the mother opened up another gift she would say "Thank you Jesus", like for example "Thank you Jesus for this Rolex!" and "Thank you Jesus for this diamond bracelet!".  Certainly this women has received many material blessings and being thankful is never a bad thing.  But really is that all He is about?

My greatest desire and hope at this point in my life is that I would continue to receive the blessings of God.  Most desperately I long to be closer to Him, to understand Him better, to hear His voice more clearly.  I also hope that He will prosper me, prosper me in doing His work, whatever and whenever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment