Monday, June 4, 2012

Odds Are Against Us

So lately God has been teaching me a big trust lesson. There is nothing I find harder to do than trust that God is going to do something that seems impossible or highly unlikely. He's been accomplishing this objective in an interesting way. He's taken some "for sure" and "strong probability" of happening situations in my life, stripped out the things that gave them such a strong likelihood of occurring and made them now in the natural "highly unlikely" to happen.

 One of them I've written about a bit already and that has to do with M.getting into J.'s school for this fall. Initially due to sibling policies I thought we had this one in the bag. Except that policy changed in March and now we are one of 400 applicants vying for only 18 spots. Doesn't look to good for us does it?

 The other has to do with a position I've applied for. Now normally the position is ridiculously hard to get. It's been said over 750 applicants apply for each spot. But I have some unusual credentials for this position that put odds much more in my favor. That and I have a very snobbish tendency (really working on this) to get confident in the degree I have in my field from a "fancy" school and think that gives me an even better edge. A challenge to secure this position? Yes, but odds leaning slightly more in my favor than away. Except the catch. I didn't find the position or apply for it until 4 days after the application deadline. So now supposedly I'm totally out of the running. Probably not going to happen.

 Normally this would freak me out. But thankfully I've been embracing the lesson I'm learning. I've found I'm not so unlike David who in one instance similarly trusted in numbers instead of in God.

 "But when it was all done, David was overwhelmed with guilt because he had counted the people, replacing trust with statistics. And David prayed to God, "I have sinned badly in what I have just done. But now God forgive my guilt—I've been really stupid." (2 Samuel 24:10 MSG)

 In my own life God has been taking these situations that I would normally assume I had a good shot at being successful in and made them so unlikely to happen that if they do I'll KNOW that it's God and not probability. I really believe He's going to come through somehow in both these instances. If He doesn't, then I'll know He has something else planned. Either way I'm victorious because I'm trusting Him and He's paving the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment