Monday, March 11, 2013

A Life of Purpose



I have recently jumped on the Downton Abbey bandwagon.  Ricardo has been a huge fan for a long time and so I’d seen bits and pieces.  But I’m now hooked on the whole series.  I’ve worked my way through seasons 1 and 2 and I’m currently enjoying season 3. 

One of the things I have found intriguing is the daily reality for these aristocrats.  They literally don’t have to do anything for themselves.  They don’t work, don’t cook, clean, or even put on or take off their own clothes.  It sounds nice.  I’d probably like it for a day or two, maybe three.  I think a lot of us like the idea of that kind of ease.

But just like some of the characters on the show, I think eventually I would become very restless with that lifestyle.  Why?  Quite simply, their lives lack purpose.  They don’t have to work hard for anything.  It seems pretty boring in fact. 

It reminds me of this news special about lottery winners and how despite being set for life financially, they all ended up depressed, downtrodden, and sometimes dead.  Why?  I mean how many people out there think life would be so satisfying if it were just easier?  But the truth is when everything is handed to you; you lose the value and pleasure in those things.
 There’s something to be said for working hard.  There’s something to be said for fulfilling your purpose, for having a purpose to begin with.  What is my purpose you might ask?  While the specifics of our life calling are different, our life purpose is to do the will of God.  What is God’s will for our life?  It’s this:

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.” Matthew 12:30-31 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment