Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Thumb Sucking Regression


For a while I’ve been meaning to write about J.’s return to thumb sucking, but I’ve put it off.  Why?  Well, simply put, I wrote an entire entry about how God faithfully helped him stop.  I wrote about how God gives us paper cuts sometimes just like He gave J. to help him stop sucking his thumb.  I saw the faithfulness of God in his life and I rejoiced in a victory I believed we had won…

And then he started sucking his thumb again.  Oh the frustration I feel every time I see him doing it.  “He’s six and a half for crying out loud!” I think to myself on a daily basis. “When will this end?”  I really thought we had it over an done with and feel overwhelmingly disappointed that he seems to be thumb sucking even more than ever before.

But thankfully God displays more patience with him than I do.  And He displays more patience with us all.  How many times have I turned a new page on something, certain I was leaving an old way behind, only to slip back into the same habit?  We’re all like that.  We can have such certainty about turning away from something, but then we fall, we falter, we fail. 

But God is merciful.  Even with our very lives and hearts.  After all, we either turned away from Him at one point or we are turning away from Him right now.  But the bible says, “He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” (2Peter3:9b NIV84)  Here the bible is talking about our souls.  Even as we turn our backs on Him, He is patient, waiting for us to come to Him.  And He’s the same way with our nasty habits.  We can foul up again and again.  People can get fed up with us.  But God does not. 

I am going to try and remind myself of this every time I see that thumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment