Saturday, December 8, 2012

I'm like Peter


I am a self-professed doubter.  I’ve discussed this previously.  Time and time again God shows up and answers me in so many ways, but when my back is up against the wall and even sometimes when it isn’t the doubts creep inside my head. 

Case in point (and yes I’ve also written about this before) every single time I get home late at night and start the arduous search for a parking spot.  On these dreaded occasions I begin my conversation with God,  “Oh Lord please show me favor in finding a spot.  We been hard at work for the kingdom and could really use a spot close to our building, etc…”  Now some of you might think it silly that I make such a deal out of praying for a parking spot, but if that’s the case, clearly you must not live in NYC and have 3 crying/whining/hungry children in your backseat.  During these moments the fear of searching for over an hour (yes this has occurred but usually to R. not me) literally paralyzes me.  I start out praying with such faith, but inevitably after a few laps around the block I begin to doubt that God will come through.  This is followed by a good dose of guilt, because really and truly God answering a prayer about a parking spot shouldn’t be the end all and be all.  At some point I tend to break down as I imagine my children starving and bawling for hours on end with no spot in sight, and just as I begin my cry fest, a spot appears for me!

Why oh why do I doubt God in the first place?  The bible is chalk full of verses telling me to have faith and not doubt.  In fact many verses suggest that if I doubt at all I won’t be able to do much.  Case in point, I could move a mountain, but not if I have doubt. 

Yet I can think of at least one example of someone in the bible who lacked faith and doubted God would help him in his time of need.  That guy was Peter and when Jesus walked on water he called Peter out on to the water with him.  And just like me, at first Peter stepped out in faith…but then he doubted Jesus and boom down he went into the water!  What gets to my heart though is what happened next.  Technically Jesus should have left Peter to flounder in the water.  After all he had failed the test of his trust.  But Jesus doesn’t do that.  Here’s the verse: “Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him…” Matthew 14:31.  Jesus didn’t even make Peter wait.  He grabbed him right up and then asked him why he had doubted. 

I feel like God graciously does the same for me.  I don’t want to be a doubter, but sometimes I am.  Instead of punishing me for that, he doesn’t. In place of a slap on the wrist, He answers me.  Time and time again this happens and I have to believe with my heart that in the end of it all, my doubts will no longer have any place in me.

This is my song today and every day really:  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment