Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Plan Shatterer

As Christians we talk a lot about wanting to follow God's plan for our lives.  We'll say things like, "If He wills it", "God Willing..."  We obsess over whether what we are doing is in line with His plan.  I've come to a hard and fast realization that all my talk about God's plans has really been code language for  
"My own plans sugar coated with some spirituality".   Really it's true.  I mean I care about what God's plans are for my family and myself, but really I don't want to wait for any of them to come to pass.  Preferably I like to figure out the most logical options and then see if I can pinpoint exactly what makes the most sense and then attribute that to God's plan being revealed.  Deep down I know how foolish this is.  If I could just be a tad bit more patient perhaps He might actually have a chance to work.  But I'm a planaholic.  I always have been.

 Up until I came to know Jesus, most of my plans actually came to fruition.  I got into the exact college I planned for.  I planned my course of study, obtained the exact job I always intended to land upon graduation.  I rarely faced rejection because I was so well planned out.  But in the last six months I've had more plans fail, more future plans contain unsurmountable glitches than I know what to do with.  And I think it's God's way of telling me to stop making plans without Him.  He knows what He's doing.  I don't.  I just need to ask Him to pave a way and then give Him a chance to do it.

Without consultation, plans are frustrated...

Proverbs 12:22 NASB

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the Lord's way, the Lord's timing. It's frustrating sometimes, feeling in limbo while you wait for His will to come to pass. Your post brought to mind a devotional talk one of our general authorities (higher up leaders in our church) gave when I was a student at Brigham Young University. You might enjoy it: http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=229

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome insight and timely too.

    ReplyDelete