Saturday, August 31, 2013

My PSA about Fertility (at least mine but probably others as well)

I generally don't like to be soapboxey, but I can't help myself:

Since finding out we were expecting our fourth child I have braced myself for the comments that would ensue when it became obvious to everyone that we had another one on the way.  At 26 weeks pregnant  it's been a good two months now that I couldn't really hide the fact.  Perhaps living elsewhere in this country we would be relatively average with number four on the way and no one would bat an eyelash, but in NYC this is not a common occurrence.  Hence anyone and everyone has an opinion on it.

Just yesterday our Super saw me in the elevator and looking aghast, stated, "Another one?  When are you going to close up shop already!?  You're going to need a bigger apartment!"  Thanks.  I've been asked on a few occasions if Ricardo and I have cable TV because obviously we're in need of something else to occupy our time other than making babies.  I've been asked if we were using birth control, what kind, and how it failed?  Hmmm?  Honestly, I know everyone means well and I usually let it slide off my back, but really and truly it's nobody's business.

It really never ceases to amaze me how opinionated people can be about other people's fertility, especially when those people are nearly strangers.  The fact is that many couples are unable to get pregnant, unable to stay pregnant, have an unplanned pregnancy (raises hand), don't want to have children, or actually WANT to have many many children and are happily headed in that direction.  Without knowing a person's circumstance I feel it's highly insensitive to comment on it.  Usually the comment is more directed at how the commenter would feel in the person's shoes and not at the person's situation itself.  But it's still often rude and inappropriate. When someone is expecting,  a simple congratulations will do and thankfully we've had a number of wonderful people who have said just that and left it at that.  When someone is not obviously expecting, don't ask about when they will be.  Following those two simple rules will assure proper etiquette in the area of a woman's fertility.

Jumping off my soapbox.

2 comments:

  1. 1st of All: Congrats! So happy for you both!

    2nd of All: Really...?! (to the people who said/asked those things)... Really?! People can be so annoying and insensitive. :/

    3rd of All: I'm sorry you're getting ridiculous comments like that. Hope it ends soon. :(

    4th of All: Yay!!! Congrats! :)

    -Rosie Villodas

    ReplyDelete