Saturday, February 4, 2012

Rejected by the Swamp People


Recently I saw a news story on an exhibit in The Chelsea Market to support Louisiana tourism and promote a show on The History Channel called “Swamp People”.  It was set up to look like an actual bayou and had real live alligators!  I have a tendency of being pretty spontaneous so I made plans to go right then and there for the opening day!  M. was excited to go and is a fan of the subway, so even the ride there was an adventure for him.  We showed up ready for some fun.  Upon arriving at the entrance to the exhibit we read the sign outside, “Opening at 1pm”  The time then was 10 am!  There was no way we were waiting around for three hours.  The event was actually open but only for VIPs and the media.  Outside a young publicist looked at our dejected faces and asked if we could just come back later.  “Unfortunately we came all the way from Brooklyn.” I told her.  “Well since you came all that way, let me see what I can do.” she said.  Before I knew it we were ushered into the exhibit space.  I was ecstatic!  We met with a naturalist who started to talk to us about the alligators.  “We just have a to wait until the ribbon cutting ceremony and then I can show them to you.” she said to Miles.  He gave her a big smile and squeezed my hand.  So we waited.  And waited.  And waited some more.  At one point, probably noting that I looked very out of place as the only person there with children, the head organizer came over and asked me who let us in.  “Are you a guest of someone?  Are you on the list?” he asked me. “No” I answered and explained that the publicist out front had let us come in.  He went over to her and they had a hushed conversation.  She then returned to us with a sheepish look on her face.  “I’m really sorry”, she said “but you’re going to have to leave.  They are getting ready to start filming some stuff.  You’re welcome to try and come back later.”  I thanked her and feeling humiliated (even though I know I shouldn’t have), we made our exit.  No gators for my two.  I think I felt worse than they did.

While the rejection by “The Swamp People” will not likely leave a huge imprint on my life, I began to think about what it will be like for some people when their life ends and they find themselves rejected by God.  Thinking their name might be on His list, only to find out that it is not, will be the encounter that some people will have with our Heavenly Father when their life is up.   The bible says, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.   Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord” did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’  Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you.  Away from me, you evildoers!’” (Matthew 7:21-23 NIV84)

Some people might think concerning themselves with whether or not their name is on some VIP list to heaven is not something to worry about now or ever.   Some people assume it just will be, while others figure they’ll take their chances.  It’s very clearly written in the bible about whose name will not be there, “Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.” (Revelation 22:15 NIV84)  I don’t think too many people would argue that someone who commits murder shouldn’t enter heaven, but it’s clear that any kind of sin would put someone in the same category.  I personally can equate my past to at least three of the things mentioned in that verse and idolatry and falsehood are something I still struggle with.  An idolater is simply someone who puts the things of this life before God.  So we’ve all done that and many of us do that as part of our daily life.  And practicing falsehood is simply telling a lie or not being true to your self.  We’ve definitely all done that.  The only way to have any assurance that our name will be on God’s list when we arrive at the gates of heaven is to put our faith in Christ.  In doing that He will blot out the sin that would keep us from gaining entry.

What a relief that is to me!  I can expect to face rejection often in this lifetime.  It’s nearly a guarantee.  But I can rest assured that I will get to spend eternity with God.  I don’t have to live my life worrying about that, and as a person with a tendency to worry; this would be a big one for me.  But it’s not.  Here’s the promise I have, “He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white.  I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.”  (Revelation 3:5 NIV84)  So thankful for this reassurance I have been given!

No comments:

Post a Comment