Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Our Media Fast is Over...sort of


Well we just completed 10 days without most media.  I admittedly had to log on to do my job that can only be done online as well as to check email.  I also made an exception to watch my husband sing in the presidential inauguration yesterday.  I felt that to be acceptable. : )

What surprised me the most about being somewhat off the grid was that I didn’t miss it as much as I thought I might.  I am really somewhat of an internet junkie.  I would even liken it to an addiction.  I didn’t want to spend even one day not being able to log on to Facebook or check into one of my online mom’s groups, so ten days felt impossible.  Because I was so resistant to doing it I knew I had to. 

I determined to draw closer to God, my husband, and my children.  I am really thankful that is exactly what happened.  It was the time I needed to face the reality of my media over usage and contemplate how I can reintroduce it with better parameters and moderation. 

I don’t want to let me life go by with a screen in front of my face twenty four seven.  There are too many in person conversations to have with my husband, friends and family; beautiful, silly, laughing children to watch grow up; and a world of hurting people that need love and to be told God loves them too.  

1 comment:

  1. Agreed! I think it's a big challenge for today's Christian to balance utilizing media for good without it consuming us. I've also had times where I've done without FB or whatever to be more focused and it's good!

    ReplyDelete